SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Springfield has been around since the early 1800s and many significant events have occurred over the last 200 years.

Here’s a brief timeline of significant events that have happened in the month of November since 1836:

1836The County Court ordered a two-story, red brick courthouse built in the center of the Public Square at a cost of $3250.
1861The Federal Army, under Gen. David Hunter, who had succeeded Gen. Fremont, withdrew to Rolla.
1861Gen. Sterling Price again moved Confederate troops into the city. Springfield was under military rule from 1861 to 1864.
1881Mule-powered streetcars were introduced in Springfield after a charter was granted to H.F. Fellows, R.J. McElhany, and James Stroughton to operate a public conveyance on Boonville from the square to Commercial Street, then to the Frisco passenger station on Benton. The operation included two miles of track, seven cars, and 20 mules. Later, the mule cars were succeeded by electric street cars which served Springfieldians until 1937.
1883Eight people were killed and many injured as a tornado swept North Springfield from the Woolen Mill at present Grant Beach Park, east on Division Street and Locust Street, damaging the mill, and destroying Sacred Heart Church and 40 houses.
1891The first organized football game was played in Springfield — Drury, 0; Washington University 18.
1906Mrs. Ellen A. Burge opened Burge Deaconess Hospital in a residence on North Jefferson Avenue. Miss Maud Luckey, Later Mrs. John Conkling, was the first superintendent. The name was changed to Burge Hospital, then Burge Protestant Hospital, and now is Lester E. Cox Medical Center, as units were added and the area expanded.
1910The first electric lights in a Springfield home were installed on this date at the residence of Frank Fellows.
1911At 3:30 p.m. the temperature reached 80 degrees. Within an hour after a cold front passed, it dropped to 28 degrees and reached a record low of 13 before midnight.
1920Prof. R. Ritchie Robertson, a native of Scotland, and the head of the Springfield Public School Music Department organized the Boy Scout Band, which was later proclaimed the largest such band in the world. He also organized Kiltie High School Girls Drum Corps at Senior High School in 1926, as well as other school musical groups and some fraternal bands.
1923The Springfield Hospital now will be known as the Springfield Baptist Hospital, according to the announcement of the newly elected president of the board of directors, Dr. S. F. Freeman. It will be open to patients and doctors of all creeds.
1927Springfield’s first radio station…WAIA…went on the air from Heers.
1929A crowd estimated at 10,000 attended the big barbecue and program at the formal opening of the livestock exchange building at Union Stockyards.
1929
The absence of smallpox in Springfield is a topic of rejoicing for City Health Commissioner Lon Sharp. He believes it was due to the intensive vaccination campaign carried on last year. Other communicable diseases have brought 29 quarantines – 15 for scarlet fever, 13 for diphtheria, and one for measles.
1931When more than 100 students of Springfield Senior High School promoted a strike, they were banned from special school activities until January 22. Eight first-team football players were among those banned.
1941
O’Reilly General Army Hospital was dedicated on North Glenstone Ave. and immediately opened for patients. After World War II it continued as a VA hospital until the last patient left on Aug. 28, 1952.
1950A proposal to build an electric power plant was voted down.
1955Voters approve annexation of 17.7 square miles.
1955Fellows Lake, built by the Springfield City Water Company for water supply, is dedicated.
1964Office employees of the Frisco Railway began work in their new building, 3252 East Trafficway. They had moved from their longtime offices at the northwest corner of Olive and Jefferson, now the Landmark Building.
1967Springfield General Osteopathic Hospital opened at 2828 North National Ave. It moved from its former location at Kimbrough Ave. and Sunshine St.
1970The name of the Public Square was changed to Park Central Square; a dedication was held on December 5.
1980Frisco Railway merges with Burlington Northern. The merger created the second-longest rail line but retired the Frisco emblem.
1983The University Plaza Hotel opens. The hotel becomes the flagship of John Q. Hammons center city development.
1986Vice President Bush made a stop at Hickory Hills Junior High School.
1987Voters defeat a half-cent sales tax.
1987The city received 6.27 inches of rain a new record.
1991A tornado touched down just north of Nixa and moved northeast into southeastern Springfield, where 53 homes were destroyed and 160 more damaged. Two people were killed, 64 were injured.
Courtesy: History Museum on the Square