SALEM, Mass -- A large hazmat response was called to an e-cigarette manufacturer in Salem after more than a dozen people required medical attention just over an hour after a firefighters cleared the scene of a chemical leak.
The first incident was reported Sunday around 3:30 p.m. at 1 Technology Way. A chlorine leak was reported in a chemical storage room at Thermal Circuits.
A Tier 2 hazmat response was called in and the building deemed safe around 8 p.m. No injuries were reported.
Around 9:30 p.m. Sunday night, Multiple ambulances were requested back to the scene. Fifteen people were taken by ambulance and others transported themselves to a nearby hospital.
A Salem Hospital spokesman said late Sunday that 20 peoples are being treated there.
Patients were reporting difficulty breathing, nausea and other symptoms, including possible loss of consciousness. No deaths have been reported.
Three people drove themselves to a Boston hospital and other patients sought treatment around the region.
The State Fire Marshal is responding to the scene Sunday night.
Salem Deputy Fire Chief Alan Dionne said "there seemed to be a panic in the building," and workers began running from the facility. Dionne described a "mass hysteria" among employees trying to exit.
Firefighters did not detect any chlorine in the building when they made entry following the second incident. An investigation was expected to take place throughout the night.
When asked if the business would reopen on Monday, Dionne said "absolutely not."
(WBZ for CBS News)
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) - A Texas death row inmate was set for…
NEW YORK (AP) - Showtime and Sacha Baron Cohen are pushing back…
ABBEVILLE, Ala. (AP) - Rep. Martha Roby is seeking Republican…