U.S. Olympic Committee Apologizes for Lochte Lie

News
putting the ozarks

RIO DE JANEIRO — Two U.S. Olympic swimmers are headed home amid growing controversy over a story about being mugged last weekend in Rio De Janeiro.

U.S swimmer Ryan Lochte told an incredible tale about a robbery at gunpoint by men dressed as police.
But Brazilian authorities said his story wasn’t true.

Lochte left the country earlier this week just as the controversy was beginning to grow.
But Wednesday, two of Lochte’s teammates were pulled from a plane for questioning.

They’ve been released and will arrive in the U.S. soon.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Olympic Committee has already said ‘we’re sorry’.

The U.S. Olympic Committee is apologizing for the behavior of four U.S. swimmers  and  for the distraction from the Olympic Games.

The move is necessary, according to sports analyst Christine Brennan who writes for USA Today.

“The nation’s looking at this and saying you know what, you’re representing us and in a country, Brazil, where the crime issue was so important, to tell any tall tale, a lie, whatever it might be that Ryan Lochte and the others told is something that just seems so wrong, especially at these games,  representing the United States.”

According to a Facebook post from Brazilian Civil Police, Jack Conger And Gunnar Bentz, who were interviewed Thursday, denied having been victims of a robbery and said Ryan Lochte’s version of events was not true.

Meanwhile, Lochte’s attorney says Brazilian authorities have not asked again for assistance.

But officials in Brazil say they are working with the U.S. to interview Lochte again.
Even though it’s likely no criminal charges will be filed, this incident could still cause trouble for the athletes.

“Standards are higher for Olympic athletes than any other athletes,” Brennon says.  “Olympic athletes are still role models and still have to play by a different set of rules. U.S. Olympic committee instills that thought. There’s a code of conduct everyone has to sign. This is no joke.”

The USOC says that the fourth swimmer, James Feigen, provided a revised statement to Brazilian authorities Wednesday evening in the hopes of getting his passport released.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local Sports

More Local Sports

World News

More World News
Putting The Ozarksfirst

Trending Stories

Washington DC Bureau

Washington DC Bureau

Newsfeed Now

More Newsfeed Now