TANEYVILLE, Mo. – A home in Taneyville was deemed of a complete loss following a Thursday night fire.
According to the Central Taney County Fire Department, at about 6 p.m. units were dispatched to a residential structure fire east of Taneyville. Upon arrival to the scene, crews discovered heavy smoke but no fire. However, it wasn’t long until flames came through the roof and spread rapidly along the roof of the mobile home, Central Fire Training Officer Jeff Romines said.
Crews initially made an aggressive attack on the interior of the home but had to evacuate as the roof began to collapse. There was a lot of hidden fire in the ceiling as it had a cathedral style ceiling throughout the home.
The owners were not home at the start of the fire but arrived home to find smoke coming out one end of their trailer. Firefighters assisted the family and were able to get many personal possessions out the home with very little damage.
Central Taney County responded with a total of two engines, three tankers, one service truck and 19 personnel. The Forsyth Fire Department provided mutual aid with one engine and three personnel and the Bradleyville Fire Department responded with five personnel.
Romines says the State Fire Marshal was called in and the fire was determined to have started in the fireplace flue. While the homeowner says they had not had a fire for several days, ashes had somehow smoldered in the ceiling/roof space of the home causing the fire. No injuries were reported.