Prosecutor Calls February Officer Involved Shooting a Sad Case


REPUBLIC, Mo. — The investigation into an officer-involved shooting in February is closed and the police officer behind it may soon be back to work. The Greene County prosecutor announced the shooting of Destry Meikle was justified.

The shooting happened in mid-February during the day after a man, known as a gentle and caring person, ran off the road and crashed. After he knocked the responding officer to the ground, shots rang out.

Republic Police Sergeant John Tinsley is heading back to work soon while a family mourns the loss of a loved one.

“His last words really was an apology. He apologized if he had hurt anyone. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m having a seizure,” said Jermaine Wooten, the family’s attorney.

Greene County Prosecutor Dan Patterson said the shooting that left Destry Meikle dead is justified but still a tragedy.

“It is a sad case. Mr. Meikle had not committed any crime prior to his vehicle leaving the road,” said Patterson.

An investigation by the Greene County Sheriff’s Office shows Meikle drove his car through two garages and refused to get out while Tinsley tried to help him.

“They investigate it just like any other homicide. It is the same types of detectives that investigate homicides, that investigate these cases,” said Patterson.

“We completely disagree with his findings and his conclusion. The evidence was pretty clear,” explained Wooten.

Tinsley opened fire after Meikle allegedly put the car in reverse and hit the officer. Wooten said that is not a reason to shoot and kill a person especially one suffering from a seizure.

“He felt a seizure coming on while he was on a highway. He pulled off the highway and that’s when he had this accident.”

Wooten said the sergeant should be facing second-degree murder charges.

“He just had a person not following his commands, it does not give him the liberty to decide he’s going to be judge, jury and executioner,” said Wooten.

Patterson believes Tinsley acted in self-defense so his office is closing the case.

“Did that officer reasonably believe that he was faced with an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury? In this case based on all the facts, he did,” said Patterson.

Wooten hopes the Department of Justice will take a look. The family intends on putting a file together to turn over the federal government.

Tinsley is expected to go back to work once Republic Police finishes their investigation. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local Sports

More Local Sports

World News

More World News

Trending Stories

Washington DC Bureau

Washington DC Bureau

Newsfeed Now

More Newsfeed Now