OVERLAND PARK, Kan.(KCTV)– Investigators said that the massive fire that started at an Overland Park, Kan. apartment complex was accidentally caused by ongoing construction inside the building.
KCTV reports, on Tuesday, fire officials determined the cause of the fire was accidental. Investigators say the fire at the Royale City Place apartments happened because of a spark from a welder’s torch.
The fire started at the building of the $450 million City Place development in the area of College Avenue and Switzer Road.
Three firefighters were transported to the hospital, but all are listed in fair condition.
Nearby homes caught fire as a result of the initial fire at the complex. Evacuations occurred as a precaution, according to emergency crews.
Firefighters battled at least 22 house fires in connection to the initial apartment fire. Residents were advised to spray down their homes.
The Overland Park Fire Department Public Information Officer Jason Rhodes says of those 22 homes, eight to ten of them were ‘significantly impacted.’
“Just an amazing incident yesterday, can’t say enough to everyone who showed up to help with this, just all hands on deck, Rhodes said. “This is kind of a once in a lifetime incident, you hope.”
Rhodes says everyone is accounted for, something he feels is ‘really fortunate.’
“To the best of our knowledge, everyone is accounted for, I think construction company accounted for all employees which is big, we know all the residents are safe and sound,” Rhodes said. “Knock on wood, really fortunate we didn’t have significant injuries or loss of life. Pretty significant damage to property but that’s about it.”
Overland Park Fire Chief Bryan Dehner said firefighters from Johnson County, Kansas City, KS, Kansas City, MO and Lawrence, KS have assisted in battling the blaze.