NIXA, Mo.– Nixa PD says people won’t stop using the town’s center turn lanes incorrectly and now officers might have to start cracking down.
Specifically, the department says, people are abusing the center turn lanes along highway 14, on Nicholas Road near the Nixa High School, and on Aldersgate near the Wendy’s and Walmart.
How are they misusing these lanes? Nixa PD went live on Facebook to explain.
In the six-minute video, Nixa police Sgt. Joe Daugherty explains (through the use of toy cars) that many in Nixa are spending too much time in the turn lane when really you should only be entering the turn lane no more than 500 ft. before their turn.
KOLR10 news crews got this footage while in Nixa Friday:
The city of Nixa offered these tips as well:
- It’s called a “center TURN lane” not a “center CRUISE lane”.
- Only use the center turn lane to turn left.
- Don’t drive in the center turn lane for more than 500 ft.
- Don’t ever use the center turn lane to pass traffic.
- Don’t use the center turn lane as an on-ramp for gaining speed to merge. When turning left from a cross street, wait until all lanes are clear cross to your lane of travel.
- Using the center turn lane incorrectly leads to crashes.
In response to this traffic trend, Nixa Police says it’s going to start writing more tickets for center turn lane violations.
“Our stats show that when we step up traffic enforcement, the public begins driving better, and we see less crashes,” a statement from the city said Friday.
The Nixa PD explanation video is below: