ST. ROBERT, Mo.– According to the Waynesville Rural Fire Protection District, one person has died after a structure fire damaged the Sunset Village apartment complex.
The victim has not been identified.
Another person was hospitalized with smoke inhalation injuries. One fire fighter was transported and released for a minor injury.
The preliminary investigation revealed that the fire was accidently started by cooking.
The major structure fire flared up overnight at about 12:35 a.m. in St. Robert.
Firefighting efforts were hampered due to water supplies freezing because of the weather conditions.
Approximately 15 fire departments from Phelps, Pulaski and Laclede counties responded to a call for help due to the size of the fire, the need for manpower and the need for supplies.
Doolittle Rural Fire Protection District said crews were met with heavy fire and smoke but were ultimately able to stop forward progression of the fire.