How to Prevent a Thanksgiving Dinner Disaster

News

SPRINGFIELD, Mo.–Cooking fires are the number one way to turn your Thanksgiving dinner into a disaster. 

So the Springfield Fire Department wants to make sure your holiday gathering remains flame free.

The fire department says cooking fires are the number one cause of house fires.

So far this year, they’ve responded to 66 of them.

The causes range from leaving items too close to the stove or leaving grease pans unattended.

The best ways to prevent cooking fires is to keep a clean stove free of gunk and keep items like oven mitts away from the stove, but if a stove fire does start, put the lid over the pan immediately or use a fire extinguisher if you have one.

Other options include salt or baking soda.

You want to avoid using flour or water.

Cara Irwin with the fire department says one of the main things you can do when a fire starts is remain calm and use common sense.

“We really need people to take a second, relax, think about what they’ve been taught today and then make sure they have the proper reaction,” says Erwin. 

Of course, if none of the suggested options work, it’s encouraged to get out of the house and call 911.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local Sports

More Local Sports

National News

More National

World News

More World News

Trending Stories

Washington DC Bureau

Washington DC Bureau

Newsfeed Now

More Newsfeed Now

TLC Properties