BRUNER, Mo. — Sparta, Missouri firefighters found themselves putting out a fire on their own property late Thursday night.
Sparta Fire Protection District Chief Brian Loula tells KOLR10 News a passerby reported smoke coming from Station 2 at 202 Driftwood in Bruner about 10:00 p.m.
Loula says they found fire on the back side of the wood frame pole barn building, used to house the district’s fire trucks.
“The crew went inside and were able to knock down the fire so we could get the door open.” Loula says his crew was able to get 3 of the 4 fire trucks out.
The fourth had heavy smoke and heat damage. It remains inside the burned out structure.
The fire got into the attic, burning the rafters and causing the roof to collapse.
Assistant Chief Dustin Colyer tells KOLR10 News the suspected cause of the fire is a propane heater. “We’re not sure if it was a loose connection, but we know it started in the wall right behind that propane heater that’s mounted on the wall.”
Loula says no firefighters were injured fighting the fire. He estimates the damage at around $100,000.