2 Officers Shot At Dallas Home Depot; Suspect In Custody After Chase

Home Depot Dallas Shooting_1524610294066.png.jpg

NORTHEAST DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM)  Two police officers and one civilian were shot at a Home Depot Tuesday around 4:10 p.m.

Police arrested the suspect, Armando Juarez, 29, around 9 p.m. after a chase in Dallas

The chase ended in the 3700 block of S Versailles near Dallas Love Field.

“Our police department was attacked this afternoon,” said Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings during a 7:40 p.m. news conference at the hospital.

“I continue to be upset at the lack of respect for our police in this city and this country,” Rawlings added.

He said officials would not be commenting on the officers conditions at this time.

Police Chief Renee Hall said, “I want to ask each and everyone of you for prayers for our community and our officers.”

Hall said state, local and federal authorities were helping with the search for Juarez.

A source close to the investigation told CBS11 reporter J.D. Miles that the male police officer was shot in the back of the head. The female officer was shot in the face, according to the source.

Both officers were gravely injured and one was resuscitated according to Dallas Police. They were taken to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas.

One of the officers is a loss prevention officer at the Home Depot.

“We can confirm that two Dallas police officers have been shot and critically wounded,” DPD reported on Twitter. “We will provide updates as we get them. Please pray for our officers and their families.”

Police could not confirm the civilian’s condition.

Police were looking for a white work truck they say the suspect took off in.

The truck is a Ford, possibly F250, white in color with “GX4” on the back fender, ladder rack, and large exhaust pipes rising from the front of the bed.

The shooting happened in the 11600 block of Forest Central Drive near the Hamilton Park neighborhood.

Police with guns drawn were seen at the back of the Home Depot as employees appeared to be rushing out of the back of the store and away from the area.

“The officers got him and they started doing the shots it was about seven shots that we heard,” said Mercedes Espinosa, a Home Depot employee. “I’ve seen two officers down surrounded in a puddle of blood.”

A massive search from police helicopters the air and on the ground followed after witnesses reported the shooter fled on foot and may be hiding in a nearby creek.

But when police reviewed security camera video they discovered the suspect took off in the pickup truck.

Inside the store, employees and customers either froze in panic or fled in fear from the brutal violence that played out in front of them.

The store was evacuated and workers were sent home for the day.

NOTE: Affiliate KXAN reported initially that one officer was killed.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

National News

More National

World News

More World News

Trending Stories

Newsfeed Now

More Newsfeed Now