Two Suspects in Custody After Pipe Bomb Scare

By KOLR10 News

Published 02/21 2014 04:50PM

Updated 02/21 2014 09:03PM

AVA, Mo. –  Two suspects are in custody after an Ava McDonald’s was evacuated when components of a pipe bomb were found in a men's bathroom trash can.

McDonald's has since reopened for business.

After the device was discovered, two schools were locked down and traffic was diverted away from the restaurant.

Police say the device found consisted of a one-inch piece of galvanized piping. There were rocks and bb's inside the pipe.

Bomb squad officials say powder was on the floor, but was not able to detonate due to lack of a fuse

"If it would've gone off, I believe someone could've been hurt," says Cpl. Tim Stuart, with Ava Police. "We believe this was an isolated incident. I don't believe the public should be alarmed in Ava, they should carry on as normal."

Police say they are still in the interrogation process with the two suspects.

previous coverage:

AVA, Mo. – A McDonald’s in Ava was evacuated after a pipe was found in the trash can containing components of a pipe bomb.

According to Phil Noah, with the bomb squad, a pipe was found in a bathroom trashcan with one end of the pope opened. Gun powder was found on the bathroom floor.
After the pipe was analyzed, copper-colored bbs, bits of rock and projectiles from rifle rounds were found.

Police say there will be a press conference at 8 p.m. with further details.  

previous coverage: 

Crime scene tape surrounds the restaurant after it was evacuated around 2 p.m. Friday when the discovery was made.

Around 30-40 people were inside the McDonald's at the time police evacuated it.

A nearby school was also locked down as a safety precaution.

Right now, however, police won’t say what exactly was discovered. Later, a bomb squad arrived on scene from Ava.

"Upon arriving we located a suspicious device and purely for safety precaution we notified the Springfield bomb squad and ATF," says Cpl Tim Stuart, with the Ava Police Department. "Right now we are currently investigating the incident at this time we did Locate suspicious items and we are ongoing with our investigation at this time."

Stuart says everything is safe and the public should remain calm.  

"Everything is safe," says Stuart. "We want the public to remain calm about the incident. We don't believe there are any other devices or anything we need to worry about right now."

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business