75°F
Sponsored by

What You Need to Know About Fireworks Danger

ROGERSVILLE, Mo. -- Every year people are seriously injured or maimed by fireworks, losing fingers, damaging eyes or suffering serious burns. Local fire departments and first responders know it is not if - they get a call- but when.
ROGERSVILLE, Mo. -- Every year, people are seriously injured or maimed by fireworks, losing fingers, damaging eyes or suffering serious burns. Local fire departments and first responders know it is not if - they get a call-  but when.

They say you can takes some simple steps to keep your family safe. The first step is be prepared.

Fun on the Fourth can quickly turn into an emergency situation
"There's lot of different products out there on the market and things can obviously go wrong if you don't follow the manufacturers instructions and safety recommendations," says Rob Talburt, assistant chief of the Logan-Rogersville Fire Protection District.

Logan-Rogersville firefighters say the first thing you should reach for when lighting off fireworks is your common sense.
"So, first of all just be safe and be smart that's the best thing you can do." Keep a bucket of water nearby or a fire extinguisher but...
"If for some reason you're using fireworks and your clothes caught on fire we go back to that old kindergarten principal stop, drop and roll."

"You've got to stop first, drop to the ground and roll back and forth. Make sure you cover those eyes up." Talburt says if you suffer a burn use your head and don't use home remedies.
"If you think it is bad enough and most of the time if it is a firework related injury it's going to require some medical attention so don't be afraid to head over to the urgent care or ER or call 911."

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says people are most commonly injured on their hands and then next their head, face, ears and eyes. If you aren't seriously injured you may not think the burned you received is a big deal.

Talburt says, think again.  "There's so many things that can go wrong, you know burns, when they get infected, can lead to lots more problems so, just if you do get a burn try to do some initial first aid, cooling it down.  The best advice would be to seek medical attention."

We spoke to two different fire departments about what to do if a field or a structure catches on fire. Both departments mentioned keeping water on hand and a fire extinguisher, but really calling 911 is the safest thing to do.

Because of the amount of rain we've had Logan-Rogersville firefighters feel a little more confident about the terrain there and in Springfield being less flammable.

But, other departments like Fair Grove, where they have received less rain, are more concerned about the possibility of brush and other fires.


Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus