The new facility located at Highway 65 & Evans Rd. will have 60 beds and provide inpatient rehabilitation for patients as young as 13.
The new facility features 60 beds, which almost twice the number that were available at the previous center. The care center will help patients with serious injuries who are in need of longer-term rehabilitation.
"The majority of our patients here will have diagnoses such as brain injury, or stroke or spinal cord injury, amputation, burns, as well as people who have just been in the hospital for a prolonged period of time and have become weak or confused from that."
The expanded space will allow for more options for patient rehabilitation. There’s an apartment where patients can practice daily living tasks before they return home and an outdoor area where they will encounter different walking surfaces like grass and gravel.
Other unique features will include:
- Gymnasiums featuring high-tech therapy devices and treatments
- Brain injury unit with monitored rooms, specialized beds, patient lifts and dedicated therapy space and dining area
- Dedicated stroke unit
- Specially-equipped rooms for bariatric patients
- Private, family-friendly rooms with sleeper chairs
- Pet therapy and community reentry programs
Mercy Rehabilitation Hospital Springfield is a partnership between Mercy and Centerre Healthcare Corporation, a national leader in the development and operation of rehabilitation hospitals. Centerre has partnered with Mercy for similar projects in St. Louis and Oklahoma City.
For more about Mercy, visit www.mercy.net.