According to a news statement, the American Red Cross announced the new app Monday with hopes to help save lives and reduce losses from floods.
The app is free and gives iPhone, iPad and Android smartphone users instant access to local and real-time information, so they know what to do before, during and after a flood.
The content is available in English and Spanish, based on the user’s language settings on their mobile device, and includes location-based, audible NOAA flood and flash flood watches and warnings, even if the app is closed.
Other features of the app include:
- One-touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to send a message letting family and friends know that they are out of harm’s way;
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm to let others know where you are
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters
- Real-time recovery resources for returning home and cleaning up
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.