(Donna made some modifications to this recipe. Watch the video to see how!)
2 1/2 cups rolled oats 1//2 blended in blender
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 cup almonds, sliced (or other chopped nuts like cashews, walnuts, peanuts macadamias or pecans)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon sea salt, or 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried cranberries (or other chopped dried fruit like raisins, pineapple, apricots, cherries, papaya, prunes)
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Combine the oats, wheat germ, flax seeds, sesame seeds and almonds; spread out evenly on the rimmed baking sheet and toast for approximately 10 to 15 minutes until golden, stirring occasionally and watching carefully so as not to burn.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl combine salt, coconut, cinnamon and dried cranberries; set aside.
- In a large measuring cup place the vanilla, honey, butter and brown sugar. Microwave approximately 2 minutes. Mixture will foam and bubble. Stir to completely dissolve brown sugar.
- Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with waxed paper. Spread the mixture, using the back of a wooden spoon, pressing to create a smooth, even surface. Place another piece of waxed paper over the top, pressing down to evenly compact the mixture. Compacting is important so the bars won’t fall apart when cut. (Suggestion: place one pan of same size within the other and press to even out mixture.)
- Refrigerate and completely cool the mixture about 2 hours to assure a clean cut. Firmly press down with a large knife to cut into bars. Do not saw. Wrap bars in waxed paper and store in refrigerator or freezer.
Amount Per Serving (1 Servings)
Fat: 10 • Carbohydrate: 32 • Protein: 6 • Calories: 202 • Sodium: 170 • Cholesterol: 1 • Fiber: 3
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.