The BBB says they have had a number of calls from people who say they got a call telling them they won a large amount of money, and that they are enroute to that person's home with the money. They may ask for personal information to "confirm" the victim won.
The BBB says the callers also claim they have the BBB, Attorney General and IRS with them. None of those agencies ever go to homes to validate a sweepstakes winner, the BBB says.
The Publisher's Clearing House told the BBB it never calls people to tell them they have won and already have the winner's personal information from the sweepstakes entry they filled out.
The Better Business Bureau sent these reminders:
• Never answer a call from a number you do not know; if it is that important, the caller can leave a message.
• Never give out personal information unless you are sure of the recipient.
• If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
• Ask lots of questions.
• Check the facts before making any decisions.
If you or someone you know has received one of these calls, you may report it to any of the following:
• Publishers Clearing House Scam Hotline: 1-800-392-4190
• Missouri Attorney General 1-800-392-8222
• Federal Trade Commission 1-877-382-4357
You may also contact your BBB at (417) 862-8419 to report a scam or file a complaint.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.