(Plantain and corn cake & caramelized onion and tomatoes)
Chef Brian M. Romano, CEC
Tatale (Corn cake with plantain - from Ghana)
Makes approx. 8-12 pancakes
1/4 cup Onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Ginger, ground
1 pinch Cayenne pepper
1 pinch Salt
1/2 cup Cornmeal
Canola oil, for cooking
1. In a food processor, puree the onion with the banana. Once smooth, add the plantain, ginger, cayenne, and salt.
2. When well mixed, add the cornmeal until it forms into a dough like substance.
3. Form dough mixture into 1-inch balls.
4. Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add a small amount of oil. When oil is heated, place balls in the pan and lightly press into a flat pancake.
5. Once pancakes are lightly brown, turn cakes over and repeat the cooking process. Serve immediately and top with makfoul mixture.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.