1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1/3 cup Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 Tomatillos, husked and chopped
1 Jalapeno, diced and de-seeded
1 Poblano chili, diced and de-seeded
1 Roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded and chopped
6 Prunes, pitted and chopped
1/8 cup Chopped Cilantro
½ Tablespoon Brown sugar
4 ½ cups Chicken broth
8 oz. Pumpkin filling
1 Dried Ancho Chili, stem removed
½ teaspoon Ground oregano
¼ teaspoon Mexican cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Chili powder
¼ teaspoon Ground coriander
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
½ oz. Chopped dark chocolate
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, chopped garlic, tomatillos, jalapeno, poblano pepper and roasted red pepper. Cook for five minutes.
2. Add the chopped prunes, chopped cilantro, and brown sugar. Stir well until brown sugar is dissolved.
3. Immediately add the chicken broth and pumpkin filling, and stir well. Add the dried ancho chili, oregano, cinnamon, chili powder, ground coriander and ground cumin. Mix well. Bring sauce to a low simmer, and cook for 30 minutes until the mixture begins to reduce.
4. Remove mixture from heat, and puree until smooth by using a food processor, blender, or a hand emulsifier. Return puree to sauce pot and bring to a slow simmer.
5. Add chocolate and stir well. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add salt and adjust seasoning to taste.
Chef’s note: Not all spices are created equal. Some spices will be stronger or weaker in flavor, bitter or very pungent. Sugar, salt, or more chocolate can always be added to adjust the flavor consistency.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.