It happened around 10:30 p.m. in the 1200 Block of North Park.
Battalion Chief Kevin Smart with the Springfield Fire Department says crews found heavy smoke and flames in the garage, but the fire was put out quickly.
Smart says one person was treated on scene for smoke inhalation.
The Red Cross is helping the family, and the fire marshal ruled the cause to be accidental.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.