Mike Brothers, director of communications, said the school was alerted on Wednesday that the young man who lived in university-owned housing had been diagnosed with the illness.
“We took our usual steps in a case like this, making sure that students who had been in close contact with him were award and monitoring their health,” he said.
“We sent an alert to all faculty and staff and encouraged anyone who thought they might be at risk to see their doctor or visit the clinic on campus.”
Brothers said because it has been several days since the school learned of the illness and no other students have reported they are ill with the same condition, Drury believes the disease has not been spread on campus.
“He was on campus quite a bit and around other folks, though. It’s rare, but in a residential area like that, you do see those things,” Brothers said.
The viral form of meningitis is usually less severe than the bacterial form. It is caused by the enterovirus, usually transmitted by contact with fecal matter or respiratory fluids, , according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Symptoms of the illness can include fever headache, stiff neck, nausea and sensitivity to light. Prevention includes thorough hand-washing, disinfection of surfaces and avoiding sharing eating and drinking utensils with a person who is ill.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.