Child Abduction Ends With Mother and Son Reunited

By Linda Ong |, Daniel Shedd |

Published 03/07 2014 10:31PM

Updated 03/07 2014 10:43PM

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- It was the end everyone was hoping for.

"It was a happy ending after the tragedy that happened just a week of so with Hailey," said Ken Jones, a neighbor who lives in the vicinity of where Jamil Hanson was apprehended.

About two hours after an Amber Alert was issued for three-year-old Jayden Hanson, Springfield Police were able to locate the boy and reunite mother and son.

"The Amber Alert worked.  Witness observed this, did what supposed to, called the police department and our officers discovered it relatively quickly," said Lt. Culley Wilson of the Springfield Police Department.

It was around noon when bolivar police first received a call of the abduction.

"We had a call to Polk County 911 Central Dispatch that there was a person forced way into residence here, ended up assaulting the woman that lived there, and took a child from the residence, left the location in a small white passenger vehicle with tinted windows," said Chief Mark Webb of the Bolivar Police Department.

The Amber Alert went out around 2:40 pm Friday afternoon, and was followed by a call from a witness.

"A utilities worker in Springfield observed a vehicle that matched the description after the Amber Alert was put out," said Webb. "Saw the license plate on the car and was able to follow the car to the location in Springfield and saw the people go into this residence. They notified the Springfield Police, and officers were dispatched there." 

Around 4:15 pm, Police were able to recover Jayden Hanson, who was unharmed. After a standoff with police, suspect Jamil Hanson was apprehended.

"Resolved without incident," said Wilson. "The suspect-- we called him out. At first he took a little time, but then he came out without any problems.

Webb said the recent abduction of Hailey Owens and response of vigilant citizens played a vital role in the recovery of Jaden Hanson.

"You have to thank the good citizens for being eyes and ears to follow up and pay attention to vehicles that may be matching the description," said Webb. "It enhances the ability of law enforcement while working with the citizens to bring these incidents to a successful resolution."

The Amber Alert was cancelled around 5:20 pm Friday evening.

Webb said the suspect Jamil Hanson is currently in the Greene County Jail and being held on a $50,000 bond. He was arrested on charges of parental kidnapping and first degree burglary.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Coupon


Featured Business